Improving the quality of life for children living with and affected by HIV/AIDS through enriching programs, unforgettable experiences, and connections with the community.

Launched in 2015, the Transition to Adulthood Program endeavors to empower adolescents to matriculate to college and secure rewarding employment so that they can become fulfilled adults who contribute positively to society. This program originated with a retreat. The retreat consists of a weekend of workshops covering issues related to attending college as well as seeking gainful employment. Sessions address topics including the college application process, identifying academic scholarships, accessing internships, resume' writing, interviewing skills, financial literacy, social media presence, and appropriate professional behavior. For those who choose not to attend college, different avenues for pursuing gainful employment via trade school training and/or professional certification are explored. Since its commencement, the program has grown to include annual college tours, workshops, professional site visits, and a career fair. Program goals include incorporating ongoing classes in financial literacy and coding and developing summer internships for the children.
This program is offered free of charge to all eligible applicants who are admitted.

Transition to Adulthood Retreat 2020 has been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We look forward to facilitating this retreat in 2021!

Eligibility Criteria
• Must be thirteen (13) years of age or older. (For retreat only)

• Must have HIV/AIDS or:

  1. have an immediate family member who is infected with HIV/AIDS (i.e. mother, father, brother or sister),
  2. have an immediate family member who has died from HIV/AIDS-related complications, 
  3. live with an extended family member (i.e. grandmother, grandfather, aunt, uncle or cousin) who has HIV/AIDS.

• Must be or have been enrolled in at least one H.E.R.O. program, or be referred by a Case Manager or other medical/social service professional.

• Must submit a copy of most recent academic/progress report (if applicable).